London, like so many other big cities, can be an expensive place to visit, especially if you don’t know how and where to save a few pounds. One area of expense that can quickly make a huge dent in your budget is eating out.
London used to have quite a bad reputation for the standard of its food, and it was deemed virtually impossible to enjoy a good dining experience without having to spend a lot of money.
Thankfully, that is not the case any longer and there are many excellent restaurants in London where you can enjoy very tasty and well presented food for an extremely reasonable price.
The following five restaurants each bring something different to the table, from vegetarian food to those who are looking for halal restaurants in London, but…they all have one thing in common…they all offer good food for a good price.
1. Pimlico Fresh: A great place for a pre-theatre pit stop as it is quite close to theatre land. Pimlico Fresh, offer wholesome, fresh and filling food in familiar feeling surroundings. Hearty soups are very popular and are not your normal, somewhat predictable offerings; Toulouse sausage and lentil is a particular favourite.
Main courses are predominantly of the casserole/stew variety, served in deep bowls. A good example is a good portion of vegan Thai vegetable curry with rice, this will set you back a paltry £4.95! You should budget £25 for a good meal with drinks for two people.
2. Baozi Inn: If you are often left feeling conned when ordering from a picture menu the Baozi Inn does a pretty good job of rectifying that injustice, providing meals exactly how they look in the menu! Situated in Chinatown, this Chinese restaurant offers excellent value for money with main courses costing between £6 to £7.
3. Beatroot – Not so much a vegetarian restaurant as it is a café. Here you can tuck into a hearty bean hotpot, shepherd’s pie (vegetarian version…obviously!) and various other tasty dishes. Beatroot can be found in Berwick Street, Soho and will provide a generous meal for two with soft drinks for a very healthy £15, not a bad incentive to become a vegetarian!
4. Princi: If you love Italian food but are put off by the high prices that often accompany it, then Princi will at least provide you with some hope. Another Soho based restaurant, Princi offers exceptional Italian food for an equally exceptional price.
There are few places, if any in central London, that can provide two people with tasty authentic Italian cooking for less than £30 and it is for this reason that Princi has to be a definite ‘must dine at’ for visitors to the city.
5. Tayyabs: An excellent restaurant serving Pakistani Punjabi food where a meal for two people will cost less than £25 which is exceptional value. Tayyabs is a good choice for those looking for halal restaurants in London, as Tayyabs serve only 100% halal food. You will never leave Tayyabs hungry as the portions are very generous and because of this, sharing is openly encouraged by the patrons.
It really isn’t that difficult to find high quality food for a reasonable price in London, even in the city, if you know where to look, this list could have been huge if all the value restaurants were listed..so a sampling of five is all you are getting along with a good portion of encouragement to go out and discover some great dining experiences of your own!